Testing U-Boot A20-Lime2 no network connection after reboot.
Arne Ploese
2023-01-22 17:00:01 UTC

Im testing (just for fun) an Olimex OLuxino A20-Lime2.
The system can't bring up the interface end0 on rebooting (only reboot
- and not poweroff and then restart by power-button).

"ip a" tells me that end0 is unconfigured.
"ifup end0" gives an error message.
Only first shutting down end0 with "ifdown end0" and then start "ifup
end0" brings the network into life.

Has anyone experienced similar behavior?

I will test a A10-Lime and A20-MICRO as well more thoroughly...

Arne
Lucas Nussbaum
2023-01-22 17:20:02 UTC
Post by Arne Ploese
Hi,
Im testing (just for fun) an Olimex OLuxino A20-Lime2.
The system can't bring up the interface end0 on rebooting (only reboot
- and not poweroff and then restart by power-button).
"ip a" tells me that end0 is unconfigured.
"ifup end0" gives an error message.
Only first shutting down end0 with "ifdown end0" and then start "ifup
end0" brings the network into life.
Has anyone experienced similar behavior?
Hi,

Yes. I'm seeing this as well.
I think there's a known kernel regression between 4.19 and 5.10, but I
don't remember where I saw it documented/tracked.

Lucas
Arne Ploese
2023-01-22 19:30:01 UTC
Post by Lucas Nussbaum
Post by Arne Ploese
Hi,
Im testing (just for fun) an Olimex OLuxino A20-Lime2.
The system can't bring up the interface end0 on rebooting (only reboot
-  and not poweroff and then restart by power-button).
"ip a" tells me that end0 is unconfigured.
"ifup end0" gives an error message.
Only first shutting down end0 with "ifdown end0" and then start "ifup
end0" brings the network into life.
Has anyone experienced similar behavior?
Hi,
Yes. I'm seeing this as well.
I think there's a known kernel regression between 4.19 and 5.10, but
Then this regression is still in kernel 6.1.4 - is this a new bug then?
Lucas
Lucas Nussbaum
2023-01-22 20:00:01 UTC
Post by Arne Ploese
Post by Lucas Nussbaum
Post by Arne Ploese
Hi,
Im testing (just for fun) an Olimex OLuxino A20-Lime2.
The system can't bring up the interface end0 on rebooting (only reboot
-  and not poweroff and then restart by power-button).
"ip a" tells me that end0 is unconfigured.
"ifup end0" gives an error message.
Only first shutting down end0 with "ifdown end0" and then start "ifup
end0" brings the network into life.
Has anyone experienced similar behavior?
Hi,
Yes. I'm seeing this as well.
I think there's a known kernel regression between 4.19 and 5.10, but
Then this regression is still in kernel 6.1.4 - is this a new bug then?
It might be something that is not tracked yet in a Debian bug, yes.
However those two bugs sound relevant (even if they are about ethernet
in u-boot, not after boot):

The board I ran into this is doing useful stuff, so I couldn't easily
investigate, and I just sticked with the buster kernel.

Lucas

Arne Ploese
2023-01-22 19:40:02 UTC
Post by Arne Ploese
Hi,
(...)
Post by Arne Ploese
I will test a A10-Lime and A20-MICRO as well more thoroughly...
Arne
I tested an A10-Lime too - all works fine for me.

For my A20-MICRO after reboot (bookworm) I saw:
***@a20-micro:/home/debian# [ 707.118279] systemd-shutdown[1]: Failed
to set timeout to 10min: Invalid argument
[ 710.251201] reboot: Restarting system

U-Boot SPL 2023.01+dfsg-1 (Jan 10 2023 - 03:18:09 +0000)
DR
Here the boot hangs.

The same for bullseye:
[ 112.210282] reboot: Restarting system

U-Boot SPL 2021.01+dfsg-5 (May 23 2021 - 04:32:45 +0000)
DR

It seems that the bug stays longer .... Any hint whats going on?

Arne