Unclean (USB) filesystem on reboot of arm64 8GB RPi4 UEFI
Ralph Aichinger
2021-04-01 09:50:01 UTC
Hi everybody in Debian ARM-land,

I am currently fighting with a problem rebooting my vanilla Debian
Raspberry Pi and I am hoping for suggestions on how to solve or at
least pinpoint the problem to file a sensible bug report.

I am booting my new Pi 4 from UEFI, basically my setup is like

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=282839

UEFI firmware is current, I think:
[ 0.124058] DMI: Raspberry Pi Foundation Raspberry Pi 4 Model
B/Raspberry Pi 4 Model B, BIOS UEFI Firmware v1.22 01/06/2021

I have enabled 8GB RAM in UEFI setup, other than that it is
all defaults.

Boot (and only volume) is an externally enclosed Disk

***@new-pi:~# hdparm -I /dev/sda

/dev/sda:

ATA device, with non-removable media
Model Number: WDC WD10JPVX-08JC3T5
Serial Number: WD-WX91A1457363
Firmware Revision: 05.01A05
Transport: Serial, SATA 1.0a, SATA II Extensions,
SATA Rev 2.5, SATA Rev 2.6, SATA Rev 3.0

My problem is that each time I reboot (using shutdown -r now)
my system boots into an initrd shell asking me to fsck /dev/sda3
Possibly related log entry:

[71871.232010] systemd-journald[234]: File
/var/log/journal/9e7cc5c0ef634792939dbf88b62a7a84/user-1000.journal
corrupted or uncleanly shut down, renaming and replacing.

***@new-pi:~# lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 931.5G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 16M 0 part
├─sda2 8:2 0 400M 0 part /boot/efi
├─sda3 8:3 0 119.2G 0 part /
└─sda4 8:4 0 14.9G 0 part [SWAP]

Kernel is the current one from bullseye:

Linux new-pi.h5.or.at 5.10.0-5-arm64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.24-1 (2021-03-
19) aarch64 GNU/Linux

other than this reboot problem the system seems fine and is up
for days and weeks (well ventillated with a small heatsink) with
light load, but I cannot take it into "production" without it
being rebootable.

Any suggestions? Or ARM64 unrelated hardware problem? Should I just
swap the Disk? Do some stress/memory testing?

TIA
/ralph -- other than that the ARM64 on RPi4 experience is amazing,
thanks everybody involved!
Ryutaroh Matsumoto
2021-04-02 02:50:02 UTC
Post by Ralph Aichinger
My problem is that each time I reboot (using shutdown -r now)
my system boots into an initrd shell asking me to fsck /dev/sda3
To access USB devices on RPi4B, initramfs must load reset_raspberrypi.ko, as

I hope it fixes your problem.
Best regards, Ryutaroh Matsumoto
Ralph Aichinger
2021-04-02 09:40:02 UTC
Post by Ryutaroh Matsumoto
To access USB devices on RPi4B, initramfs must load reset_raspberrypi.ko, as
I hope it fixes your problem.
Best regards, Ryutaroh Matsumoto
Thanks a lot, Ryutaroh, it indeed did fix my problem.

And thank you for filing and working on this bug.

All the best,

Ralph
Ryutaroh Matsumoto
2021-04-02 11:10:01 UTC
Post by Ralph Aichinger
Post by Ryutaroh Matsumoto
To access USB devices on RPi4B, initramfs must load
reset_raspberrypi.ko, as
I hope it fixes your problem.
Thanks a lot, Ryutaroh, it indeed did fix my problem.
And thank you for filing and working on this bug.
It was very difficult for me and took very long time to identify the cause of
the symptom. I wish initramfs-tools 0.140 will be included in
Bullseye so that nobody will suffer from this again...

Ryutaroh

Alan Corey
2021-04-02 09:50:01 UTC
I always use halt -p (or reboot) and I have USB drives on just about
everything. I don't have a Pi 4 though. Probably no UEFI. I use hard
drives or SSDs in USB adapters. Arm64, got 3 of them. How about SDs in
USB readers? I usually use msdos partitiion type.