W: armhf version for thunderbird bullseye
John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
2021-10-06 15:10:02 UTC
Hello!
Is there a thunderbird version for armhf in one of the debian repositories?
checking [1] and [2] they mention armhf versions of tb 78 for Buster and Stretch, none for Bullseye so far.
Carsten Schoenert has disabled the 32-bit ARM builds of Thunderbird, see [1].

I have no clue why that happened as there is no mention of that change in debian/changelog,
but I assume it's because Mozilla upstream broke support on these targets.

It's unfortunately a big of cat and mouse with fixing all these regular regressions on
architectures that Mozilla doesn't care about. We would need more people working on
these.

Adrian
[1] https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=thunderbird&suite=sid
--
.''`. John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' : Debian Developer - ***@debian.org
`- GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546 0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913
peter green
2021-10-06 15:20:01 UTC
I think the issue may have been the linker running out of address space. Certainly we ran into that in
raspbian.

I do have a thunderbird package in raspbian which may work for you, but I have to build it in a slightly
hacked-up environment with the linker replaced by a cross-linker.
Carsten Schoenert
2021-10-06 16:10:01 UTC
Hello Adrian, hello Tuxo,
Post by John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
Hello!
Is there a thunderbird version for armhf in one of the debian repositories?
checking [1] and [2] they mention armhf versions of tb 78 for Buster and Stretch, none for Bullseye so far.
Carsten Schoenert has disabled the 32-bit ARM builds of Thunderbird, see [1].
I have no clue why that happened as there is no mention of that change in debian/changelog,
but I assume it's because Mozilla upstream broke support on these targets.
the removal of the architectures in question did happen in preparation
for 1:68.2.1-1

---%<---
Post by John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
thunderbird (1:68.2.1-1) unstable; urgency=medium
* [8f89b90] d/control: decrease build architecture list
Decreasing the current list of build architectures. Not meant to keep this
forever, removed RC architectures needing support and volunteering to get
them back.
(Closes: #921258)
--->%---

The commit in detail

https://salsa.debian.org/mozilla-team/thunderbird/-/commit/8f89b90f1054645f7f92d985bc747410123c38c2
Post by John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
It's unfortunately a big of cat and mouse with fixing all these regular regressions on
architectures that Mozilla doesn't care about. We would need more people working on
these.
That's the nail, I'm unable to support all the possible architectures so
I need to concentrate on the most important architectures. arm{el,hf}
but also mipsel isn't that important in my eyes as usage of Thunderbird
on such systems is more a proof of a possibility.
--
Regards
Carsten