Serial Consoles
Rainer Dorsch
2021-12-28 00:20:02 UTC

I am using a serial console to connect to a cubox-i. As terminal program I
either use "screen -fn /dev/ttyUSB0 115200" or minicom. If I paste some text
in the terminal, after about 30 characters the content gets lost.

Is there a better way to run a serial console?

Thanks
Rainer
--
Rainer Dorsch
http://bokomoko.de/
Uwe Kleine-König
2021-12-28 10:40:01 UTC
Hi Rainer,
Post by Rainer Dorsch
I am using a serial console to connect to a cubox-i. As terminal program I
either use "screen -fn /dev/ttyUSB0 115200" or minicom. If I paste some text
in the terminal, after about 30 characters the content gets lost.
The problem is likely that the characters come in more quickly than the
soft- and hardware on the cubox-i can work through them. On i.MX6 you
might be able to tune the water mark level of the FIFO so somewhat
lessen the problem.

The microcom built into busybox can delay submission, e.g.

busybox microcom -d 20 /dev/ttyUSB0

The other programs to drive a serial console, don't support this AFAIK.

Best regards
Uwe
Rainer Dorsch
2021-12-28 12:40:03 UTC
Post by Uwe Kleine-König
Hi Rainer,
Post by Uwe Kleine-König
The problem is likely that the characters come in more quickly than the
soft- and hardware on the cubox-i can work through them. On i.MX6 you
might be able to tune the water mark level of the FIFO so somewhat
lessen the problem.
The microcom built into busybox can delay submission, e.g.
busybox microcom -d 20 /dev/ttyUSB0
The other programs to drive a serial console, don't support this AFAIK.
Thanks for the explanation and the microcom reference.

Excellent advise that makes u-boot a lot easier :-)

Thanks
Rainer
--
Rainer Dorsch