Debian Gnome versus Debian Cinnamon on UTM - M1 Mac
FritzS GMX
2022-08-16 07:20:01 UTC
I installed UTM / QEMU on my M1 (ARM) Mac Mini, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSD, Monterey 12.5

I test some ARM able Linux Distributions.

So as Debian Gnome and Debian Cinnamon

Ob Debian Cinnamon I get the message
»Please check graphics driver
Your system is currently running without video
hardware acceleration.
You may experience poor performance and high CPU utilization.
high CPU load.«

On Debian Gnome I don’t get this message. What's wrong? Which graphic driver missing in Cinnamon?

…..

I installed SPICE guest agent tools, so copy and paste works well between Linux and Mac.

But ‚Shared Directory‘ don’t work, what I must do for this?

…..

I had test VMware Fusion for M1 Mac pre-version to, but UTM / QEMU runs felt better for me.

…..

Postscript:
There are not many Linux ARM Distributions yet - for example manjaro ARM is not installable on Mac - does not support UEFI.
Fedora Gnome ARM still runs - but is a bit buggy.

Nice greetings
FritzS
***@gmx.net
Wookey
2022-08-16 17:00:02 UTC
Post by FritzS GMX
Hi,
I installed UTM / QEMU on my M1 (ARM) Mac Mini, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSD, Monterey 12.5
Ob Debian Cinnamon I get the message
»Please check graphics driver
Your system is currently running without video
hardware acceleration.
You may experience poor performance and high CPU utilization.
high CPU load.«
On Debian Gnome I don’t get this message. What's wrong? Which graphic driver missing in Cinnamon?
There is no free driver for the M1 GPU yet (the Asahi project is
working one) so the message is correct that unaccelerated graphics is
being used. However in practie this seems to work pretty well.

Glad to hear that Debian is installale on this hardware.

Wookey
--
Principal hats: Debian, Wookware, ARM
http://wookware.org/
FritzS GMX
2022-08-16 17:10:01 UTC
Post by Wookey
Post by FritzS GMX
Hi,
I installed UTM / QEMU on my M1 (ARM) Mac Mini, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSD, Monterey 12.5
Ob Debian Cinnamon I get the message
»Please check graphics driver
Your system is currently running without video
hardware acceleration.
You may experience poor performance and high CPU utilization.
high CPU load.«
On Debian Gnome I don’t get this message. What's wrong? Which graphic driver missing in Cinnamon?
There is no free driver for the M1 GPU yet (the Asahi project is
working one) so the message is correct that unaccelerated graphics is
being used. However in practie this seems to work pretty well.
Glad to hear that Debian is installale on this hardware.
Strange that this error message only occurs with Debian Cinnamon - but not with Debian Gnome and Fedora Gnome.

I followed the tip from UTM, but it does not help in this case
https://mac.getutm.app/support/ <https://mac.getutm.app/support/>
SPICE Guest Tools (Ubuntu)
Run from a terminal:
$ sudo apt install spice-vdagent spice-webdavd
Hank Barta
2022-08-16 17:50:01 UTC
Post by Wookey
There is no free driver for the M1 GPU yet (the Asahi project is
working one)
That matters for Linux installed directly on the M1/M2 hardware. The OP
mentioned "UTM / QEMU" so I thought he was talking about running these in a
VM. Woulldn't the GPU be virtualized and have the facilities provided by
the host OS (MacOS?)
Beautiful Sunny Winfield
Keith Bainbridge
2022-08-16 22:40:01 UTC
Post by Wookey
Post by FritzS GMX
Hi,
I installed UTM / QEMU on my M1 (ARM) Mac Mini, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSD, Monterey 12.5
Ob Debian Cinnamon I get the message
»Please check graphics driver
Your system is currently running without video
hardware acceleration.
You may experience poor performance and high CPU utilization.
high CPU load.«
On Debian Gnome I don’t get this message. What's wrong? Which graphic driver missing in Cinnamon?
There is no free driver for the M1 GPU yet (the Asahi project is
working one) so the message is correct that unaccelerated graphics is
being used. However in practie this seems to work pretty well.
Glad to hear that Debian is installale on this hardware.
Wookey
I use virtualbox, so may be different

I get that message when running cinnamon guests - until I increase the
Video Memory (under Settings for the guest; after you add the new
guest). I use 128M in stead on the default 16M
--
All the best

Keith Bainbridge

***@gmail.com