About ARM
p db
2023-02-08 16:30:01 UTC
Wednesday, 08 February 2023

Good evening to all the members of Debian,

I just want to ask a question:

Are there computers with ARM cpu's on which can run Debian?

Awaiting your reply,

Best Regards,

Paolo Del Bene ☮
Leigh Brown
2023-02-08 17:50:01 UTC
Hi Paolo,
Post by p db
Wednesday, 08 February 2023
Good evening to all the members of Debian,
Are there computers with ARM cpu's on which can run Debian?
There are many computers with ARM CPUs that can run Debian. The most
famous is perhaps the
Raspberry PI, which later versions can run Debian unmodified, but there
are others.

I'd recommend starting here:

https://www.debian.org/ports/arm/
Post by p db
Awaiting your reply,
Best Regards,
Paolo Del Bene ☮️
Regards,

Leigh.
FritzS GMX
2023-02-08 18:00:01 UTC
There are many computers with ARM CPUs that can run Debian. The most famous is perhaps the
Raspberry PI, which later versions can run Debian unmodified, but there are others.
https://www.debian.org/ports/arm/
Debian aarch64 runs without problems on an M1 MacMini - installed in an UTM/QEMU VM, the only I missing is the graphic driver.
AFAIK the Asahi Linux accelerated graphics is not implemented in Debian aarch64.
p db
2023-02-09 01:40:01 UTC
Good Evening,

Thank you very much for your replies, finally i found an arm laptop with
these specs:

CPU: 64-Bit Dual-Core ARM 1.8GHz Cortex A72 and Quad-Core ARM 1.4GHz Cortex
A53
GPU: Quad-Core MALI T-860
RAM: 4 GB LPDDR4 Dual Channel System DRAM Memory
Flash: 64 GB eMMC 5.0
Wireless: WiFi 802.11AC + Bluetooth 5.0
One USB 3.0 and one USB 2.0 Type-A Host Ports
USB 3.0 Type-C ports with alt-mode display out (DP 1.2) and 15W 5V 3A
charge.
MicroSD Card Slot: 1
Headphone Jack: 1
Microphone: Built-in
Keyboard: Full Size ANSI(US) type Keyboard
Touch-pad: Large Multi-Touch Touchpad
Power: Input: 100~240V, Output: 5V3A
Battery: Lithium Polymer Battery (9600mAH)
Display: 14.1″ IPS LCD (1920 x 1080)
Front Camera: 2.0 Megapixels
Power Supply included, comes with both US and EU plugs
Dimension: 329mm x 220mm x 12mm (WxDxH)
Weight: 1.26 kg (2.78 lbs)
Warranty: 30 days

On which is possibile to install Debian, for the moment i haven't found an
ARM computer to put on my office desk.

Best Regards to all the members of Debian,

Paolo Del Bene ☮
Alan Corey
2023-02-09 02:40:01 UTC
Sounds a little like a Pinebook Pro
https://www.pine64.org/pinebook-pro/ I wish mine hadn't died (hinge
crapout). As far as I know they aren't available right now doe to the
chip shortage but that's getting to be an old story, there might be
some around somewhere.

I bought a mid-price Chromebook (Acer CP-513) as a replacement but I'm
not real happy with it. It is a 64 bit ARM machine with a couple days
battery life but it mostly runs Google Chrome OS. It can run Debian
part time as a secondary OS, it can't run a server because Debian only
runs part time. Mostly doesn't do xfree-86. Debian is a task running
under Chrome I think. Mostly Android compatible, big touch screen.
--
-------------
Education is contagious.
xiao sheng wen(肖盛文)
2023-02-09 03:20:01 UTC
https://www.phytium.com.cn/en/

Phytium CPU support Debian, it also has motherboard which support EFI
with this CPU.
Post by p db
Wednesday, 08 February 2023
Good evening to all the members of Debian,
Are there computers with ARM cpu's on which can run Debian?
Awaiting your reply,
Best Regards,
Paolo Del Bene ☮
--
肖盛文 xiao sheng wen
https://www.atzlinux.com 《铜豌豆 Linux》基于 Debian 的 Linux äž­æ–‡ 桌面 操䜜系统
GnuPG Public Key: 0x00186602339240CB
xiao sheng wen(肖盛文)
2023-02-11 02:30:01 UTC
Hi Paolo,

Debian iso support BIOS and EFI  in amd64 arch.

I didn't know whether if has any arm64 arch CPU support BIOS.

BTW:
Please reply to maillist.
Dear Mr. Xiao Sheng Wen,
Thank you very much for your reply, but about the Phytium cpu, i don't
know nothing, and to the same time that there's too a motherboard
https://trisquel.info/en/forum/libreboot-x200-returns-minifree
Steve McIntyre
2023-02-11 20:20:01 UTC
Post by Leigh Brown
Hi Paolo,
Debian iso support BIOS and EFI  in amd64 arch.
I didn't know whether if has any arm64 arch CPU support BIOS.
No, not at all. The BIOS (as most people understand it) is an x86-only
thing. There are *many* firmware implementations on various arm/arm64
platforms. The two most likely ones you'll fine on arm64 boards and
machines are

* U-Boot (either loading booting kernels directly, or as a limited
EFI)
* Tianocore (EFI only)

You can happily boot Debian on many machines using either. In terms of
booting the installer, there are a range of images that you can use
for different U-Boot machines, or with EFI you should be able to use
the standard ISOs.

The libreboot link from Paolo is talking about ancient x86 hardware
with coreboot, which isn't really relevant here.
--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK. ***@einval.com
"We're the technical experts. We were hired so that management could
ignore our recommendations and tell us how to do our jobs." -- Mike Andrews
Gunnar Wolf
2023-02-15 05:10:01 UTC
Post by p db
Good evening to all the members of Debian,
Are there computers with ARM cpu's on which can run Debian?
Awaiting your reply,
I'm currently typing this on my ARM laptop ☺ It's somewhat
higher-specced than the one you mentioned in your other post.

Let me drop a link here for you:

https://github.com/aarch64-laptops/debian-cdimage

This is a *modified* Debian installation image, with the needed bits
to install on a number of ARM64 laptops. The differences with Debian
are quite minimal, mostly oriented at obtaining the firmware needed to
get things going.

My laptop is a Lenovo Yoga C630: this project supports also the Lenovo
Flex 5G, which is quite simlar, a bit newer, and the newer Thinkpad
X13S.

Hope this information is useful to you.