raspi image-specs root partition size limitation
Sebastian Kuzminsky
2023-02-22 20:30:01 UTC
Hi there, I'm using image-specs to make a custom Raspberry Pi image for
LinuxCNC (https://www.linuxcnc.org). My fork is here:
https://github.com/SebKuzminsky/image-specs/

As you can see I'm mostly adding a bunch of standard debian packages and
a little bit of system configuration to make things easier for LinuxCNC
users. Because I'm adding packages, I had to increase the size of the
root partition.

I found that if I increase it to 8192M or larger, it fails to resize
itself to fill the micro-SD card on the first boot. 8000M works fine.
I'm fine for now staying below 8 gigs, just thought I'd report the issue
here.

Thanks for a great tool :-)
Sebastian Kuzminsky
Sebastian Kuzminsky
2023-02-22 23:30:01 UTC
Post by Sebastian Kuzminsky
As you can see I'm mostly adding a bunch of standard debian packages and
a little bit of system configuration to make things easier for LinuxCNC
users.  Because I'm adding packages, I had to increase the size of the
root partition.
I found that if I increase it to 8192M or larger, it fails to resize
itself to fill the micro-SD card on the first boot.  8000M works fine.
I'm fine for now staying below 8 gigs, just thought I'd report the issue
here.
Hmm, I spoke too soon. It's not the larger root partition size that
breaks the partition resizer, it's installing task-xfce-desktop.

The debugging continues...
Sebastian Kuzminsky
Sebastian Kuzminsky
2023-02-23 23:40:01 UTC
Post by Sebastian Kuzminsky
As you can see I'm mostly adding a bunch of standard debian packages
and a little bit of system configuration to make things easier for
LinuxCNC users.  Because I'm adding packages, I had to increase the
size of the root partition.
I found that if I increase it to 8192M or larger, it fails to resize
itself to fill the micro-SD card on the first boot.  8000M works fine.
I'm fine for now staying below 8 gigs, just thought I'd report the
issue here.
Hmm, I spoke too soon.  It's not the larger root partition size that
breaks the partition resizer, it's installing task-xfce-desktop.
The debugging continues...
Ok, false alarm, sort of: the problem was operator error on my part.

I had added a second "apt: install" step to install some packages in
addition to the "base system" (outside of the cached root fs tarball).
That caused the initramfs to be regenerated, but the rpi-resizerootfs
scripts had already been deleted by then.

Sorry for the noise, folks.
--
Sebastian Kuzminsky